It’s pouring rain tonight. Winds howling, making me wish I was sitting in front of a big stone fireplace. Watching the fire dance, feeling the warmth on my face always makes me feel everything is going to be alright.
Seems things are quite unsettled these days for everyone I know, even people who have someone to cuddle every night. Restless sleep, irritability, sadness that can’t really be explained and an aimless searching to find answers when it feels like looking into an empty barrel.
It’s January, a time of new beginnings, resolutions and some mysterious force that says we need to do things better, make decisions that are healthier, move forward all while singing, “Don’t Worry, Be Happy” and going to Zumba classes. And, it seems most of us can’t move this year, we don’t know what to do and wonder if anything will matter anyhow. We’ve lost our way.
I am not going to try and pump you up because I’m part of the same tribe and walking this road with all of you. But, here are some things I am doing this January that I hope will at the very least help you sleep…
- Remember that even though our government will change, our friends and family will be there for and with us.
- There is beauty all around us every single day. Rainbows are there even during the rain and if you look up often you’ll see the hope they offer.
- It’s OK to tune out the news, to read fiction, go to light-hearted film, eat ice cream and spend money on a good bottle of wine or fancy coffee drink.
- Buy some flowers and keep color and life in your house.
- Light a candle or two in the darker mornings and turn on some soft music rather than the news.
- Call your friends rather than texting.
- Make a list of things that bring you joy, that you’ve wanted to do forever. Start doing one of them in January. Photography, painting, tai chi, beer making, decorating your bedroom, rescuing an animal from the shelter, finding a place of worship, gathering your friends together to watch a chick flick…
- Do a vision board. If you don’t know what that is, email me. It’s the best way I know to find out what you really do love and value so you can get off that sofa and get cookin’.
- If you are single and want love in your life, ask yourself what you can do to find love this year and start now!
- In a relationship? Pull out some old photos of when you first met and remember what made you happy.
We can’t stop the rain or make the skies blue, but we can make our own worlds brighter by getting a grip on our life on a daily, hourly basis. Sometimes that means pulling back from the world, catching our breath and remembering that we Americans are a resilient, strong and loving people who will always show up for each other in times of great need. That will never change.
Offer hope to someone you know today. Post this on your Facebook page or forward it to a friend
Are you tired of watching those sunsets alone and ready to do whatever it takes this year to find someone to share this next amazing chapter of your life? Good for you!
Call me at 510-817-4242 or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
We’ll set up a Complimentary Strategy Session to get you on your way in January!
Donna Bailey, MS
Coach, Speaker, Writer and Expert, Dating and Relationships for “Grown-ups”
Donna’s Big RED Chair